Monday, May 13, 2013

HAUL | Books
















My job can be one of either two things: super stressful or super boring. I never know which it will be, so I always carry a book around with me. It also helps having one on the bus. One day at work, it was a pretty slow shift so I whipped my book out. Beside my hostess stand, there's a black futon with funky mirrors above on the wall, ones that people love to look at because of the crazy, circus distortion it does to your reflection. A little boy came around to look at them and his dad followed. His dad asked me if I was reading for school or pleasure. "Pleasure," of course I answered, considering I'm not in school. "Good for you," he replies. Honestly, it kinda shocked me. I had forgotten how little people read for fun these days and it's actually really unfortunate. Books are incredible - little mind televisions. I have learned so many life lessons just from reading my whole life, going through what the characters go through.

I only read fiction, mostly fantasy and science fiction. I love escaping to a reality so unlike my own. I also only write fiction, but any genre, really. I do own a Kobo, and as much as I love its handy, portable-ness, I did miss the physicality of books. Unfortunately, Canadian books tend to be quite expensive, especially hardcovers (though I prefer paperbacks), so I went to find a shop that would sell me less-expensive ones. I ended up finding http://www.bookcloseouts.com/. I love this website! They have any and all genres with supremely cheap books.

I ended up buying 9. The other books I purchased at a thrift store near me. The books from BookCloseOuts are:
  1. Lures by Sue Goyette
  2. After the Snow by S.D. Crockett (read)
  3. The Castings Trilogy by Pamela Freeman
  4. Grievance by Marguerite Alexander
  5. Auralia's Colors by Jeffrey Overstreet (read)
  6. Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti by Genevieve Valentine (read)
  7. Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger
  8. Masquerade by Nancy Moser
  9. Black Swan Rising by Lee Carroll (read)
The books from the thrift store are:

  1. A Map of Glass by Jane Urquhart
  2. Cat's Pilgrimage by Marilyn Bowering
  3. The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
  4. One Fith Avenue by Candance Bushnell
  5. Loser's Town by Daniel Depp (current)
  6. Birds In Fall by Brad Kessler
If you'd like a review on any of these books, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment